Monday, April 12, 2010

Hey Rach ... Take a walk

I went for a walk around my neighborhood today. I almost didn't do it. Why? I'm very good at making excuses. Here are some of the ones I was pondering.

First ... and this is a confession here ... I have an addiction at the moment: Solitaire on my iTouch. You wouldn't think it could be so addicting, but for me it is. Every time I lose, I want to keep going until I win. My winning percentage is 40%, so you see there are lots of times I don't win. But, if I play a couple more times, I usually win. So, before I convinced myself to go for a walk, I was playing solitaire. It wasn't a good enough reason to not go, so I was able to get past that excuse.

My second excuse was that I had figured out my points for all of my meals. I knew I was going to hit my daily amount of 23 or go over by 1 or 2. I didn't need the extra 3 points that walking would bring.


I did end up going for my walk though. I live in a great neighborhood and day was so beautiful. I ended up convincing myself to go because I knew it would do my soul good as well as my body. It was great feeling the sunshine, hearing the birds and smelling the blossoms. It was a great way to shake the proverbial cobwebs from my head. I'm glad I did it. For me, once I get into a habit ("rut" could work here too), it's tough to change it. I want to get back to going to the gym this week. The gym is 15 minutes away from my home. It does take some will power to go over there for a class ... no matter how much I might enjoy Zumba. So walking today was a good compromise. It was very good to walk for 2 miles and feel my body work in that way. I'm glad I got over my laziness. That in itself, is a great achievement. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment